I had been hoping Obama would say something intelligent about what drove Abdulmutallab to do what he did, but the President uttered a few vacuous comments before sending in the clowns. This is what he said before he walked away from the podium:
‘It is clear that al Qaeda increasingly seeks to recruit individuals without known terrorist affiliations … to do their bidding. … And that’s why we must communicate clearly to Muslims around the world that al Qaeda offers nothing except a bankrupt vision of misery and death … while the United States stands with those who seek justice and progress. … That’s the vision that is far more powerful than the hatred of these violent extremists.’
But why it is so hard for Muslims to ‘get’ that message? Why can’t they end their preoccupation with dodging U.S. missiles in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen and Gaza long enough to reflect on how we are only trying to save them from terrorists while simultaneously demonstrating our commitment to ‘justice and progress’?
Does a smart fellow like Obama expect us to believe that all we need to do is ‘communicate clearly to Muslims’ that it is al Qaeda, not the U.S. and its allies, that brings ‘misery and death’? Does any informed person not know that the unprovoked U.S.-led invasion of Iraq killed hundreds of thousands of Iraqis and displaced 4.5 million from their homes? How is that for ‘misery and death’?" -Ray McGovern: The Obama Team Just Doesn’t Get It: US Violence and Occupation Spark Terrorism
Tagged as: Politics. Terrorism. Foreign Policy. Muslims. Islam. War on Terror. Al Qaeda. Obama.
- fariyah likes this
- thistoo--shallpass reblogged this from pakizah
- badassafghanhippie reblogged this from musaafer
- mademoisellealiyah reblogged this from inqalaab
- mademoisellealiyah likes this
- inqalaab reblogged this from pakizah
- pakizah reblogged this from musaafer
- e-rocki reblogged this from musaafer
- musaafer reblogged this from rcabbasi
- doctorofnothing said: Although I think the current ‘justice’ system is flawed in many ways, I think Obama is attempting to ideologically starve salafi-jihadism (al-Qaeda rhetoric.) Although, I don’t agree with the violent methods since it does cause more aggression.
- mehreenkasana likes this
- rcabbasi posted this